Table of Contents
- 1 300 Win Mag or 300 Ultra Mag - What’s the Difference?
- 2 Detailed Comparison
- 3 300 Win Mag or 300 Ultra Mag? Our Choice is...
300 Win Mag or 300 Ultra Mag - What’s the Difference?
300 Remington Ultra Magnum
- Brand: Premier Scirocco Bonded
- Model: 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
- Bullet Size: 3.600 in
- Bullet Diameter: .308 in
- Shell Case Length: 2.850 in
- Bullet Weight: 180 gr
- Energy (per 200 yards): 3,268 ft-lbs
- Velocity (per 200 yards): 2,860 ft/s
- Muzzle Energy: 4,168 ft-lbs
- Muzzle Velocity: 3,229 ft/s
300 Winchester Magnum
- Brand: .300 Winchester Magnum
- Model: 300 Winchester Magnum
- Bullet Size: 3.34 inches
- Bullet Diameter: 0.308 in
- Shell Case Length: 2.62 in
- Bullet Weight: 180 gr
- Energy (per 200 yards): 3,163 ft-lbs
- Velocity (per 200 yards): 2,813 ft/s
- Muzzle Energy: 4,076 ft-lbs
- Muzzle Velocity: 3,193 ft/s
300 Win & 300 Ultra Pricing
In some states, the 300 Win Mag components are more available and cheaper than the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. Although in terms of ammo availability, both the 300 Win & 300 Ultra are at par, choosing more affordable ammo is wiser. With this, the 300 Winchester Magnum takes its first win.
Also Read: How to Disassemble Remington 870
Long Distance Shooting
Since both ammo are known for extreme long-range shooting, comparing their trajectory could be a little tricky. Although the 300 Winchester Magnum is notable for its accuracy and has been used for 1,000-yard – 1,100-yard competitions, the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum exceeds its performance in the long-range shooting because of its flatter trajectory. With this, the 300 RUM takes a point.
For short-range shooting ammunition, check out this 460 Rowland and 10mm comparison here.
300 Ultra & 300 Win Mag Loading Type
Taking about the 300 Ultra Mag vs 300 Win Mag bullet weights, 300 Winchester Magnum has heavier and longer bullets, it overthrows the 300 RUM in this category.
Although the 300 RUM cartridge is great for long-range shooting, the 300 Winchester Magnum could combat this category against the 300 RUM since it is only relatively heavier than the 300 RUM. With this, the 300 Winchester Magnum wins.
For other powerful ammo, try this 223 vs 6.5 Grendel article.
300 Win Mag & 300 Ultra Recoil
300 Ultra Mag Pros & Cons
300 Win Mag Defense Pros & Cons
300 Win Mag or 300 Ultra Mag? Our Choice is...
In choosing between the 300 Ultra Mag vs 300 Win Mag, our choice is the 300 Win Mag because it has less recoil, more affordable, has more factory match loads, and offers more available load data than the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. If recoil and price don’t bother you much, getting the 300 RUM ammo is still a great choice.
If you’re looking for concealed carry handguns, you may find this Sig Sauer P365 vs P320 article interesting.
- What’s theBest Pocket Holster For Sig Sauer P365? Top Reviews - October 31, 2021
- What’s the Best Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) For AR-15? Reviews & Guide - October 31, 2021
- What’s the Best A2 Stock for Your Rifle? Reviews & Guide - October 31, 2021