- What Happened to FPSRussia (2023 Update) You Won’t Believe - November 1, 2023
- How to Buy a Gun in Texas (2023 Complete Guide) - October 31, 2023
- 8 Best 9mm Muzzle Brakes: Reviews & Guide (2023 UPDATED) - October 10, 2023
Table of Contents
- 1 Key Difference Between 308 Winchester & 458 SOCOM
- 2 Detailed Comparison
- 3 Our Pick Between 308 & 458 SOCOM is…
Key Difference Between 308 Winchester & 458 SOCOM
Based on our experience the difference between the 458 SOCOM and the 308 Winchester is the 308 Winchester can more effectively shoot past 300 yards. If you’re looking to shoot medium to large size game, then the 308 is preferred. Although, the rest is difficult to spot if you are a novice in the shooting community, considering their marginal terminal ballistics in the shooting range.
Developed in 2000, the 458 SOCOM was an upgrade for the standard M4/M16/AR-15 family of rifles. In contrast, the 308 Winchester came about in 1952, decades earlier than the birth of 458 SOCOM. Moreover, the 458 SOCOM was practically designed for AR-15, M4, and M16 rifles while the 308 Win was chambered for an AR-10.
- Brand: Tromix
- Model: 458 SOCOM
- Bullet Weight: 250 gr
- Bullet Size: 0.458 inches
- Bullet Diameter: 0.458 inches
- Shell Case Length: 1.575 inches
- Energy (per 200 yards): 1,179 ft-lbs
- Velocity (per 200 yards): 1,330 fps
- Muzzle Energy: 2,565 ft-lbs
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,150 ft/s
- Brand: Winchester
- Model: 308
- Bullet Weight: 175 gr
- Bullet Size: 0.308 inches
- Bullet Diameter: 0.308 inches
- Shell Case Length: 2.015
- Energy (per 200 yards): 1,983 ft-lbs
- Velocity (per 200 yards): 2,306 fps
- Muzzle Energy: 2,720 ft-lbs
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,645 ft/s
Winchester 308 & SOCOM 458 Trajectory
Since the SOCOM 458 is the heavier bullet compared to the Winchester 308, it is more likely to claim that the former has more bullet drop and arch when shot in long-range shooting games.
A SOCOM 458 usually drops at past 300 yards while the Winchester 308 could go beyond 1000 yards before hitting the zero drop. Obviously, Winchester 308 won this round.
Long Distance Shooting
It is more evident that the 308 Win works better for a longer range than the 458 SOCOM. Although it is safe to claim that 450 SOCOM could smack a better bang inside 150 yards, it fails to stretch a distance up to 200 yards or beyond. While the 308 Win usually takes about 600 to 800 yards before a bullet drop. In this case, the 308 Winchester got another win.
Alternative ammo great for long distance shooting: Blackout 300 and Legend 350
Loading Type - 458 SOCOM vs 308
Both cartridges offer a range of bullet grains shooting enthusiasts could choose from, depending on their specific hunting needs. The 308 Winchester offers ammo ranging from 125 gr to 175 gr while the 458 SOCOM offers 250 gr to 600 gr, which are heavier.
Since the 308 Winchester are lighter, it travels faster when shot. Hence, it will spend less time in the barrel, causing it to have less recoil. With this, the 308 wind over the 450 SOCOM.
If you want to know more why bullet weights matter, try this 6.5×47 LAPUA and 6.5 Creedmoor comparison here.
308 & 458 SOCOM Bullet Energy
458 SOCOM Pros & Cons
308 Winchester Pros & Cons
Our Pick Between 308 & 458 SOCOM is…
Our pick between 308 & 458 SOCOM is the 308 Winchester because it outperforms the 458 in affordability, trajectory, bullet weights, loading type, and distance shooting. But if you are shooting at shorter distances and want to have more bullet energy, purchasing the 458 SOCOM is not a bad idea. In 458 SOCOM vs 308 Winchester, the 308 wins.